Helen Hunt Jackson once said, September days are here and with them the summer’s best of weather and autumn’s best cheer. That being said I welcome you to what, I believe, is the greatest place in the world to send your child to school, Upper Nyack Elementary School. A place where we love each student as if they were our own and teach them all they will need to be successful in the twenty-first century. We also take pride in providing them a SAFE environment where they can learn.
As we begin this year together, let us remember that we are a team. Together we work for your child’s success. There is no greater cause to work together than to benefit the needs of your child. This is the first of several monthly letters I will be sending out to you. Many times our letters home are just keeping you up to date on the latest happenings at Upper Nyack Elementary School. Here are a few to mention.
- Welcome Ashley Chippa, new Math Specialist
- Welcome back Patti Seminelli, Speech Teacher
- Edelstein will be returning to work in late October. Until then, we are pleased to have Ms. Jessica Dow as our substitute for her. Ms. Dow shares the distinction of being a graduate of Nyack High School.
- September 9th: Back to School Picnic sponsored by our PTA 5:00-7:00pm.
- September 12th: PTA Meeting at 7:00pm
- September 15th: Back to School Night 7:00pm. We will start the evening in the All Purpose Room at 7:00 p.m. If you would like to meet our Physical Education Team, Reading and Math Specialists, Music and Art Teachers, they will be available in the All Purpose Room at 6:30pm.
Welcome to all our new families! You have become a part of a wonderful family here at Upper Nyack Elementary School. To our families that have been here, please help our new families so they can have a successful experience with us.
Just a few safety reminders:
- If you need childcare, you can drop off your children at 8:00am and they will be supervised by one of our staff members during our morning program. Please do not drop off your child earlier than 8:00am.
- Car Drop Offs: If you are using our drop off or pick up lane, do not get out of the car to let your child leave or enter the car. If you feel you must do this, then please park your car in a spot on the street and wait for your child outside of their designated dismissal door.
The reason for this is to allow traffic to keep moving along on North Broadway and allow parents and children quick access to each other.
- Please communicate any dismissal changes to your child’s teacher first thing in the morning by putting a dismissal note in their backpack. Dismissal changes should be known by the teacher in the morning. If an emergency arises and an appointment is made, call the office BEFORE 2:00pm to notify the teacher. Please be advised, NO DISMISSAL CHANGES WILL BE HONORED AFTER 2:00pm
- Safety is our goal in all things. Please help us to create a safe environment. To those parents picking up their children, please be reminded that once your child/children are dismissed to you, please make every effort to leave the grounds so we can focus on dismissing our bus students.
- To our parents whose children take the bus: Please make sure you have an alternate plan for your child if for some reason you cannot meet them at the bus stop on time. Whether it is another family member, fellow parent etc. please make sure that you always have someone meeting your child.
Best wishes on a successful school year. Together, we work towards your child’s success. Is there any greater mission to have?
Mr. Joseph Mercora